Retinol – the GOLDEN ingredient when it comes to reducing wrinkles, fines lines, sun damage and improve skin texture.
Retinol is a pure form of vitamin A and when applied to the skin creates retinoic acid which has amazing benefits for the skin, not only anti-aging but also to help fight acne, repair sun damaged skin and normalizing the skin’s natural functioning.
Come to think of it, by saying that retinol supports your skin, actually means that every cell in your skin can function optimally and not to work harder in fighting inflammation caused by acne (which increases the aging process) or constantly trying to protect itself against the sun by forming pigmentation, etc.
It is allowing your skin to focus on being healthy, to have a proper functioning immune system and produce collagen, elastin and all the needed substances to prevent pre-mature aging.
What is Retinol?
Retinol is a pure form of Vitamin A and is a highly reactive molecule that, when not of a high quality, can easily break down and lose its potency when coming into contact with sunlight, heat or air.
It is for this reason to make sure to purchase this product from a well-formulated and trusted brand to ensure that you obtain the best and highest quality of vitamin A/Retinol.
Why must I use Retinol?
The reason why we have to use Retinol in our daily skin care routine is to slow down the aging process as soon as possible.
Retinol will increase your skin’s natural cell renewal and slow down aging by producing new fresh plump cells.
As it increases cell renewal it will also assist in diminishing the appearance of pigmentation, as the pigmented cells are brought to the surface and will then eventually flake off.
Not only does it have benefits towards anti-aging properties and reduction of pigmentation but also to improve skin texture, to eventually provide a softer and much smoother appearance. It will stimulate the blood flow to bring more oxygen and nutrients to skin cells thus ensuring a healthier functioning skin.
Some side effects can occur when using Retinol or vitamin A, such as temporary redness, flakiness, sensitivity and slight peeling. When this occur it is called a Retinoid Reaction and the use of the Retinol product must be stopped till the reaction has subsided. Only then can you slowly start to introduce the product again in smaller amounts until your skin is strong and familiar with the higher levels of Retinol.
To minimize the risk of side effects it is necessary to introduce the product gradually on the skin. Start by using it twice a week at night, building up to three times a week and keep adding as your skin gets familiar to the Retinol, until you are able to use the product every night.
In addition to using Retinol products you must apply SPF during the day as your skin is very photo-sensitive. It is imperative and as per directions to only use the Retinol Serum at night.
And now for important questions you might ask: at what time in my life do I start and how to apply to get the best results?
You can start using Retinol on your skin when aging or wrinkles starts to concern you. This will most likely be somewhere in your twenties or thirties and then to continue using it according to your requirement.
Apply the serum at night after you have cleansed your skin and then apply your moisturizer. Slowly build up your skin with the applied Retinol and gradually increase the use to three times a week to eventually use it every night.
Some of our products that contain Retinol:
- Age Reversal Eye Complex – Advanced, micro-encapsulated Retinol helps smooth away the signs of skin aging around the eyes. With added vitamin C and peptides to boost collagen production and smooth the skin texture.
- Overnight Retinol Repair 0,5% – Powerful treatment cream accelerates skin renewal and reduces the appearance of skin aging. Active micro-encapsulated pure Retinol helps increase collagen production and cell turnover.
- *!NEW!* Overnight Retinol Repair 1% – This active clinical strength 1% micro-encapsulated pure Retinol formula helps accelerate skin renewal for visible firmer and smooth skin. A powerful peptide and antioxidant Vitamin C help reduce the appearance of wrinkles, uneven skin tone and discoloration.
- Revitosin (Retosin)– To normalize cell function and increase cell renewal, also containing Retinyl Palmitate and Beta-Carotene as antioxidants to boost collagen production and regulate sebum production.
- Revise A– Formulated for acne, congested skin to maintain new cell renewal and strengthen skin tissue. Adding in Salicylic Acid to increase exfoliation and for its amazing anti-bacterial properties.
All of these products are available at View and the Dermalogica Overnight Retinol Repair 1%, will be available as from 21 September 2017